I will be tweeting where ever I can, so if you want to know how I'm doing against schedule, here is the plan:
|Control||Km||Control Closes||My Depart||Time In Hand|
|Christchurch||0||25/02/12 07:00||25/02/12 07:00|
|Hororata||72||25/02/12 11:48||25/02/12 10:53||0:55:00|
|Geraldine||182||25/02/12 19:08||25/02/12 16:40||2:28:00|
|Lake Tekapo||270||26/02/12 01:00||26/02/12 00:17||0:43:00|
|Omarama||358||26/02/12 06:52||26/02/12 05:46||1:06:00|
|Wanaka||471||26/02/12 14:24||26/02/12 13:35||0:49:00|
|Haast/Lake Paringa||615||27/02/12 00:18||27/02/12 00:16||0:02:10|
|Franz Josef||760||27/02/12 13:02||27/02/12 10:13||2:49:05|
|The Wafelbakkers!||860||27/02/12 20:25||27/02/12 18:58||1:27:43|
|Greymouth||930||28/02/12 03:53||28/02/12 03:43||0:10:20|
|Oxford||1137||28/02/12 22:07||28/02/12 21:15||0:52:35|
|Christchurch||1202||29/02/12 01:00||29/02/12 00:56||0:03:54|
The full workings can be found here: SKH Schedule.
The weather forecast mentions rain quite a bit. This might turn out to feel like two Bryan Chapman Memorial (BCM) 600s, back to back. And that is after me promising never to do a BCM again!
I can draw strength from the following:
- I have cycled in NZ before,
- There are two bag drops (had none on PBP),
- PBP has 8000 meters climbing, the SKH is only 6000 more!
- It is 30 km shorter than PBP
- I have a 'secret' control
- A 7AM start means less sleep deprivation than on PBP
- Stunning scenery, even in rain, even in the dark
- Have always been lucky on west coast with beautiful sunshine
- I've kept my weight down
- And have been spin training
And just a few things I'm not so sure about:
- Haven't done anything above 200km since PBP last August.
- There could be a head wind going south
- Am I the only rider?
- Will I be able to carry enough food?
- Where will I find water? Rivers?
- What is the average distance between 3 star bus shelters (3 star means good enough to sleep in)
- Will I finish in time?
- Will I get round?
This ride really is above my station, and there will be no Ray, no Mel, no Pete, no Hummers, no YACF familiar faces, no Willesden crew. I don't know of anybody else doing this ride. There are quite a few unknowns. But I am very excited and have been looking forward to the challenge.
Check out the @swarm_catcher tweets.